that's right, as you all know, i've embarked on a journey to run 26.2 miles and finish the marine corps marathon on october 29th! at the same time, i'm also fundraising for the leukemia and lymphoma society; you can check out my webpage at http://www.active.com/donate/tntnca04/tntncaSCheng but please keep checking back here for more updates on my crazy adventure!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

ipod+nike






yesterday evening, i finally tried out my new ipod+nike device that serena and kelvin had gotten for me as a gift!

while i should have tried out my ipod on sunday with a 30-minute run, i instead opted to go on a mini-hiking adventure with some friends to the national arboretum. i'll post a photo soon.

anyway, back to my new ipod+nike device and the run. it was pretty cool. not only do you get to listen to music but since i was set to the distance mode, at every mile, a woman's voice would talk over my music and say "you're at X miles!" however, it seems as though i should calibrate the device so that when i run, it's set to the way i run and the steps i take, because according to my ipod, i ran 5.45 miles, whereas when i used gmap pedometer and mapped the route, it was only 5 miles.

according to my ipod, i had run 5 miles at a pace of 8 minutes and 29 seconds per mile totaling 48 minutes and 10 seconds. now, i'm not really sure that this is accurate, for while i was running faster than normal, i'm not sure i was running at under a 9 minute mile pace. for me, that's hard to do! now if i take the gmap pedometer map, i would have run 5 miles at a pace of 9 minutes and 38 seconds, which seems a little bit slower than the pace i was running at yesterday but probably more on par than the ipod calculations!

my analysis of the situation? that i need to calibrate my ipod so that it fits with the way i walk and run and the steps that i take when i run. my theory is that ipod probably calibrates it to an average person and how he/she walks. since i'm much shorter than the average person (i'm only 5' 2.5"), my ipod is calculating a bigger step than what i'm actually taking. well, at least, that's my theory! i'm heading to the track tomorrow, so i can calibrate my ipod then and see whether it's more accurate afterwards.

until then...

4 Comments:

Blogger regis said...

you love expressions like "my analysis of the situation?".. you use them all the time ;)

5:24 PM

 
Blogger stephers said...

thanks for the explanation kelvin. bummer though, as then that means my "theory" is wrong! i'm heading to the track today so hoping to calibrate it correctly!

11:07 AM

 
Blogger stephers said...

not yet, dont know what my "power song" would be. did you get the thing too?

12:02 PM

 
Blogger stephers said...

i see your dilemma. especially if you work on machines, it probably makes more sense to have earphones rather than the ipod nike thing!

10:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home